Hoverboards offer a cool way go places. Depending on the wheel size and motor power, both children and adults can ride this electronic vehicle. Hoverboards are like self-balancing scooters.
Speaking of the time it takes a hoverboard for a full charge, many factors come into play.
Depending on the battery life, usage, weight limit and brand, a typical hoverboard can take between 1 and 5 hours to charge. The cheaper ones usually last 2-3 hours.
How Long Does A Hoverboard Last On Full Charge?
If you ride on a rough terrain, you will extract more energy from the hoverboard’s battery. This means you get less time to ride the hoverboard.
Similarly, if you do not adhere to the weight limit, you add extra weight for the hoverboard to carry. This will also eat up the battery of your electric scooter.
The best way to ensure your hoverboard runs for a long time is by sticking to certain protocols:
- First thing, check your hoverboard’s battery charge. Never ride your hoverboard on low battery as it will wear your electronic device down in the long term. It also means less riding time.
- Do not exceed the weight limit. Most recreational hoverboards can carry a maximum weight of 220 to 300 pounds. Hoverboard batteries are not meant to power excess weight. This also applies to your backpacks.
- Try to ride your hoverboard in open spaces with minimal obstacles. Every time you start and stop your board, it reduces your battery level.
- Use the original charger for your hoverboard. A cheap, unauthorized hoverboard charger can damage the lithium-ion batteries.
Omitting these rules is okay for first time riders. However, after your first ride you must respect these protocols to get the best out of your hoverboard.
How Do You Know When A Hoverboard Is Fully Charged?
You must pay attention to the small light which appears on the charger light indicator to know when the hoverboard is fully charged.
Most hoverboard chargers will have a green light when attached only to the charging port on the wall, not the hoverboard.
When you finally connect the charger to a hoverboard’s charge port, it will emit a red light if the hoverboard is not fully charged. Even if the board is fully charged, a flicker of red light should appear at least once.
When the green indicator light appears, it means your hoverboard is fully charged. You can unplug and go for a ride.
When the light on your hoverboard is blinking green, it means your device is running low on battery. This usually happens when the battery is down to 20 per cent or below.
Sometimes the light on your hoverboard blinks orange. An orange light means there is something wrong with your hoverboard battery. It should be replaced.
If your hoverboard charger blinks green and red, it implies a fault in the internal circuits. You must get your charger checked, repaired or replaced.
What Are Some Hoverboard Charging Problems?
Overcharging your hoverboard is a bad idea. Like with most electronic devices, overcharging leads to a shorter battery life. Never leave your hoverboard connected to the charger port after a full charge.
Similarly, do not charge your hoverboard during voltage fluctuations. Less voltage or high voltage, both scenarios can damage your hoverboard batteries.
Apart from this, sometimes you will find that your hoverboard is not charging optimally. Due to this, the hoverboard can run into issues like the inability to reach maximum speed.
Here are some of the most common charging problems related to hoverboards:
- Improper charging: This is usually due to improper use and not following the instruction manual. If you see an orange light blinking, it could mean that there is an internal wiring issue.
- Inability to reach full charge: Your hoverboard is unable to reach 100 per cent charge even after hours of charging.
- Flashing the wrong light: Even after charging fully, the hoverboard charger keeps blinking red.
- When such problems arise, it is best to replace the charger.
How Long Does It Take To Charge A Bluetooth Hoverboard?
Currently, there is no technology which allows any device to be charged using Bluetooth. However, there are hoverboards with Bluetooth that allows you to play music.
Your typical hoverboard charger provides 36 or 42 volts. It comes with a standard AC adapter with 29.4 to 42 volts of output.
The end of the output line (which is inserted into the hoverboard) is not a single pin but a 3-Prong inline. This goes into the hoverboard’s port to charge it.
How To Charge A Hoverboard
Simply follow these steps to charge your hoverboard properly:
Use the right charger to charger your hoverboard. Basically, use the charger which comes with the vehicle, as authorized by the manufacturer.
Connect the charger to a working socket outlet. To check if the outlet is working, see if a red light appears on the charger. If it does, then the outlet is functional.
Connect the output end of the charger to the hoverboard. When the charging is complete, the light indicator on the charger will turn green from red.
Disconnect your hoverboard after the charging is complete to prevent battery damage.
How To Charge Hoverboard Without Charger
If your hoverboard charger has a USB outlet, you can use your laptop to charge the hoverboard.
Connect the USB end to your laptop and the output end to the hoverboard. This will begin the charging process.
You may also be able to use a laptop charger to charge your hoverboard. Make sure that your transformer can convert AC voltage of about 110 volts to 15 DC voltage.
In addition to this, you will also require a 5 volts battery, USB charging plug and USB hub.
Although it is possible, please use an authorized charger to charge your hoverboard. Using anything else can do more harm than good.
Also do not use chargers used by cell phones.
Hoverboard Battery Replacement
If your battery is not charging properly, the problem could lie with the battery itself and not the charger.
Before you learn how to replace the hoverboard battery, check if the battery is truly faulty. To do this, follow these steps:
- Connect your hoverboard to the charger and turn the switch on.
- If the light indicator on the charger turn green, push the power button to turn the hoverboard on. Ensure that the hoverboard is still connected to the charger.
- After the hoverboard turns on, check if an orange light blinks on the hoverboard.
- If you see an orange light, let the device charge for 10 to 20 minutes.
- After that, disconnect the hoverboard from the charger while it is still on.
- If the hoverboard turns off, it means your battery has gone bad.
Now follow these steps to change your hoverboard’s batteries. You can go for lithium ion batteries or any specific hoverboard lithium-ion battery packs. Here are the steps:
- Unscrew the lower part of the hoverboard’s body. Now remove the outer covering.
- You will notice that the battery is being held to the frame by 4 screws. You must unscrew them as well.
- Next, unplug the battery from the plug that it is connected to.
- Bring out the new battery and put it in the old battery’s place.
- Now repeat the process in reverse by first screwing the 4 screws around the new battery.
- Then place the covering of the lower shell back and screw it up. You have successfully replaced your hoverboard’s battery.
How To Charge A Hoverboard With A Phone Charger
This seems like a bright idea. But currently, it is not possible to charge your hoverboard using a phone charger.
A phone charger cannot meet the demands of a hoverboard’s battery requirements. Still, some research is on to figure out a common charger across multiple devices.
Until then, it is best to purchase a proper hoverboard charger to charge your device.
FAQ Relating To How Long Is A Hoverboard Supposed To Charge?
How Do You Know When Hoverboard Is Fully Charged?
When a hoverboard is fully charged, the light on the charger indicator will turn green. After that, you must unplug the hoverboard as overcharging can damage the battery.
How Long Should A Hoverboard Last?
On a full charge, a typical hoverboard can last anywhere between 1 and 5 hours. The cheaper brands may last only 3 hours, while the more advanced hoverboards can last up to 5 hours.
Do I Leave My Hoverboard On While Charging?
No, you do not have to keep you hoverboard on while charging. In fact, it is recommended that the device should be turned off during charging.
How Long Does It Take For A Hover 1 Hoverboard To Charge?
This depends on the Hover-1 hoverboard version. The ultra version takes around 4 hours for a full charge. On the other hand, the Nomad version can take up to 4.5 hours to charge fully.